I’m part of a wonderful Mommy group in San Francisco. We’re really close and started our own Facebook page so that we can easily chat with each other via status updates and also plan events. Our babies are within a few months of each other in age, which means there are a lot of 1st Birthdays this summer.
With such a large group we acknowledged that it would be excessive to buy a birthday gift for all of the 1-yr-old birthdays in our group. So, instead, we created a pool of money using WePay, in which the total amount collected will be contributed to a local charity.
Here’s how we did it:
- Agreed on a local charity
- Assigned someone to set up a WePay account (super easy, takes a few min)
- The organizer then sends a "Payment Requested"
- You can choose to pay via bank account or with a debit/credit card
- NOTE: One caveat about WePay is that there is a nominal fee for each person who uses it. I personally don't mind this fee for larger groups like ours, since it makes collecting money from everyone a lot easier -- but for smaller groups the fee doesn’t really make sense.
I’m happy to share that my Mother’s Group will be contributing to the Early Child Education Program at Compass Family Services.
And a big Happy Birthday to all of our little ones!