If you’ve ever been 30+ weeks pregnant, you’ve heard them—the words from complete strangers, commenting on the eminent birth of your child. In the last few weeks, I can’t go out of the house without hearing from a few of these chatty folks. They are usually men, and the comments are (hopefully) meant in jest, but they can really sting when you’re feeling huge and hormonal. Here are a few that I’ve heard lately:
- "What, were you due back in 2011?"
- "How many are in there?!"
- Obvious giggling and pointing. (From some ladies at Trader Joe’s when I was holding a watermelon. They apparently thought the resemblance was comical.)
- "Any day now, huh?" (Ummmm, actually I still have 3 weeks to go.)
- And one from an incredibly sweet woman, "I thought you were only seven months—you look great!"
From now on, I'm sticking with the approach from the delightful woman in example #5. When I see a very pregnant woman, the only words out of my mouth will be, "You look wonderful!"