My big boy! Today you are 2 1/2 and I can't believe how independent you have become. I love you more every single day, even though you are bossy and don't like my singing.
I can hardly remember a time when I couldn't communicate with you so comprehensively! Which is why I want to make another list of all of the things that I don't want to forget about you at this age.
- You need help getting settled onto the potty but once you are on, you put your hand out and tell us "I need privacy!"
- You can identify most of your emotions such as: "I'm mad!" "I feel frustrated!" "I got a little scared." I secretly love the last one because it means that you are going to climb into my lap and put your head on my shoulder.
- You like to sing to yourself in the mornings. You are well versed in all of the common nursery rhymes but you've made up a particularly funny one called "I am Miles Morris."
- You love to dance but your dance is more of a bunny hop/run across the floor.
- You really hate Mommy's singing. When I start to sing, you yell, "Don't sing that!!"
- You call your sister Baby Goyl, Pretty Goyl, or Ava Goyl, which is your adorable way of saying Girl.
- You are an amazing traveler! You have been to Canada, Germany, the Dominican Republic, Hawaii, Florida, California, Arizona... and you have handled each and every flight and time zone change effortlessly. I'm so proud of your resilience and spirit of adventure.
- You love oatmeal, pancakes, and Nutella sandwiches. Whenever you are asked what you want to eat, the answer is always "Nutella sandwich."
- You remember really specific details of various events but you always references them as happening "last night."
- You gave up the pacifier about 2 months ago and were very easy going about it. You weren't ready when Ava was born but when Daddy asked you to give it up a few months ago, you readily agreed.
- You love wood puzzles, IRL and on iPad. You also love your wooded train tracks and can play quietly by yourself with them. I watch you figure out their configurations with pride without you knowing it.
- You love to make your sister laugh.
- You take toys away from your sister but when you do that, you replace it with something you don't want to play with. We're working on that.
- You can partially dress yourself and feed yourself too but you still like me to feed you when we are at home. I know it is a bad habit that I indulge you but I also know that you'll outgrow it all too fast so I abide.
- You can be combative and logical. The other day when I confronted you about not napping at school you looked me straight in the eye and said, "You know what? Just don't talk about my nap, okay?"
- You have tried many times to fly and climb the walls like superheroes. You were not discouraged by your inability to do so.
- You cried during Dumbo when the elephant visited his mother in confinement. You said, "He wants his Mommy back." It was one of the most touching moments I have ever seen and I was so proud of your ability to empathize.
- You love going to the movies with your Daddy.
- You still like to be held and I love hearing, "Pick me up!"
- You are cautious and safe. You don't take risks like climbing things or touching hot objects. You get a very serious face on when you say, "I have to be very very careful!"
- You think you can see through walls. You lean in and squint extra hard and tell me that you have X-ray vision like Superman. You also think your hands emit "repulsor technology" like Iron Man.
- You can name every superhero and their alterego and like to play a game where we name them off and say whether or not each of them fly.
Son, I love watching you grow into this person. It's a pretty great person. Happy 2 1/2 birthday.