I saw this tip in a magazine this week: Survive the holidays by creating a To Don't List. What a good idea!
A To Don't List includes things that you should not be taking on if you want to maintain your sanity. It is a good reminder that you are too busy to make your life more complicated.
So before you get roped into making crafts for all 12 days of Christmas for your child's classroom, you'll think of the list and politely scale it back.
I am a pretty busy girl. I'm a wife and mother of two small babies, working on my MBA, launching a new web show, doing quite a few freelance jobs this fall and winter, in addition to MommyBeta and The Trending Show. Plus I am hosting Thanksgiving at my home this year in addition to traveling back to the Bay Area to visit my side of the family. I will probably need to say no more than a few times this season.
Don't get me wrong, I love participating out at my son's school but I can volunteer once or twice. Not EVERY time there is a call to arms. So here is my preemptive To Don't List. I will NOT:
- Volunteer for an assignment at Miles' daycare every week - every third or every other week will suffice!
- Try to knit my children's mittens. The mittens I started for Miles two years ago still sit finished only up to the thumb. Buy those damn mittens and call it a day.
- Start solids with Ava until after your travels in a few weeks. She is thriving on Mommy's milk and you don't need to go running around the country lugging baby food if it is the difference between starting solids at 6 months and 6 1/2 months.
- Stress about Thanksgiving table settings. The food will still be delicious even if you don't serve it on chargers.
- Spend too much time shopping for Christmas presents. Amazon ordered gifts will suffice. The mall is no place to be when you should be studying for an MBA or playing with your babies.
- Feel the need to keep up with Pinterest holiday crafts. That site can really make you feel inadaquate as a homemaker. Screw that! I will do the best I can but I'm not doing Santa themed nail designs!
What is on your To Don't List this year?