I’ve been writing a lot about preschools – applying to preschools and different preschool philosophies. Education expert Claire Haas of Kiddie Academy, has shared a list of questions to ask when choosing a preschool, and I wanted to share with you.
We know that picking the perfect preschool will not guarantee that our child is later accepted to Harvard. Right?! However, the right choice can determine if your child is ready for kindergarten and elementary school.
Here's a Handy Checklist:
- Does the preschool program provide curriculum-based education and enrichment activities? Developmentally-appropriate academic programs prepare children to be lifelong learners.
- How does the facility help to prepare your child to meet state standards?
- Evaluate the arts program - are the projects child-driven? Are students given materials with freedom to be creative in constructing the end result, thus expressing themselves through art?
- Review the physical fitness plan - Does the center provide activities that focus on health and fitness?
- How is technology integrated into the lessons? Today's best preschools offer multiple ways to utilize computers and technology to enhance learning experiences.
- Does the center offer your child a variety of ways to interact with other children throughout the day? By exposing your child to a range of participation formats—independent, small group and large group—your child becomes a more well-rounded individual, better prepared for kindergarten and beyond.
If you're choosing between several options, take note of how each preschool handles each of these crucial topics. Once you've gathered all the data, you'll have what you need to make an informed decision that's right for your family.
For more education and parenting tips, visit the Kiddie Academy Family blog.